Everything you want to know


You have got questions we've got answers.

    About application
  • When is the right time for submitting the Application?

    When is the right time for submitting the Application? Every foreign University/College/School has their own intakes (admission starting dates) during a year. Some have two intakes during the year, while others may have three or only one intakes during the year. Generally, majority Institutions in a particular country follow the same intake. Hence, one should initiate steps for admission process at least 1 year in advance for the respective intake. In some cases, you could initiate these steps 3-4 months in advance also.

  • What is an application package?

    An application package consists of the material required by the University. This include: Application forms, Application fees, Recommendations, Transcripts & mark sheets, Financial aid form and more...

  • Entry Requirements
  • What one needs to be accepted into a course?

    To be accepted into a course of study at a British institution, you need to satisfy the minimum academic entry requirements and English language requirements.

  • What if one doesn’t have the minimum entry qualifications?

    Students with relevant practical experience but without formal qualifications are sometimes considered. Advice on the entry requirements for ones’ specific course and whether his/her work experience can be considered in lieu of his formal qualifications, can be obtained from the admission office of the respective institution.

    For Undergraduate studies: if one does not have formal qualifications, he/she can undertake a Foundation course, which usually lasts one academic year. There are a number of colleges running the Foundation courses, as do many Universities.

    For Postgraduate studies: Students having neither a formal degree nor relevant work experience, but have satisfied the course tutor that they have the flair for the particular course, may be admitted to a Postgraduate Certificate program. A PG Certificate program usually lasts 6 months and comprises the first semester of the appropriate master’s degree. On showing good performance in the postgraduate certificate program, one can claim admission to postgraduate diploma and subsequently to a master degree, without any waste of time.

  • One has below average grades in his/her high school or college/University. Will he/she get admission?

    Yes, one can get admissions even if he/she has below average grades in academics. There are several good Universities abroad and they understand that student sometimes loses focus and do not concentrate on their studies. They even understand the Indian academic system as they are in close coordination with us. These Universities will be ready to give one a second chance.

  • A student intending to go abroad after SSC for further studies. How?

    Yes, there are study-abroad programs even if one is just a 10th class student. There are High Schools too in UK, Canada, USA, Australia and New Zealand that allow such entry.

  • About Program & Classes
  • Can one change his/her major upon reaching the University?

    Yes, certainly. In fact, most undergraduate students change their major at least once during their four-year course of study. Most Universities abroad allow students the flexibility to change their major as they wish.

  • What are Sandwich and Foundation programs?

    Sandwich programs are made-up of a combination of periods of study and time spent in Industry. So the course duration extends to 4-years instead of the usual 3-years, for all bachelors’ courses. Foundation programs are of 1-year duration and are generally tailored for students as an alternative route to bridge between one’s qualification and that, which is required for entry into a degree program at the International University or College.

  • What will classes be like?

    In schools and further education courses, usually one needs to follow a fixed curriculum. Higher education courses are flexible and offer freedom and one will be required to undertake a lot of independent studies. Students are encouraged to use libraries and laboratories. Research students need to collect data, analyse, develop a logical form and present the information in a usable format – they will not have much classroom based exercises other than group discussions and debates among students and guides.

    Much further education, foundation, undergraduate, and postgraduate courses include:

    Lectures: The lecturers give presentation to a large number of people (usually to the whole of class) and students are encouraged to take notes. The lecturer-student and student-student interaction, in this case, is limited to question hours, normally conducted at the end of the presentation. Usually, lectures involving general topics are repeated within the same week, which one can attend at the time that best suit him/her.

    Tutorials: To discuss the core information delivered through lectures, tutorials are organised. Students are split into small groups and encouraged to discuss with other students and teacher.

    Seminars: Seminars involve a great deal of student participation in further analysis of a core information. A subject is normally divided into several sub-topics and students are encouraged to present their views in a specific topic, which is usually followed by group discussion.

    Practical classes: Practical classes are intended to give practical exposure of the theories students have learnt, but some are intended to develop skills on their own right. Students often have to work individually under the supervision of a staff member. These classes are held at laboratories (science based courses); stage (drama, law); fields outside the institution (agriculture, geography) and workplace or model workplace (catering, medicine).

  • How much work will one have to do?

    The numbers of theory and practical classes vary from course to course. Science and Engineering students have additional practical or laboratory classes. Social science, Business students do not have much practical work but they need to spend the equivalent amount of time in library, language laboratory or seminars.

  • Will one need his/her own computer?

    The computing facilities in almost all UK institutions are extensive and students do not need their own computer. However, if the students wish they can buy one through retails or University stores and take advantage of the network facilities.

  • International Students
  • What is a transfer option?

    A transfer option is to complete at least 2 years of the Bachelor’s program and then apply for a transfer to the International University that you want to attend. The years waived off in your transfer status will depend on the courses covered in India and the grades for the same.

  • What are the accommodation arrangements?

    Both Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students are guaranteed accommodation by many Universities in their Halls of Residence, for at least their first year at the University, provided they inform the University within the given deadlines.

  • Can one work while studying?

    It depends on the length and type of program a student will be attending. One’s eligibility to work will be shown on the immigration stamp in his/her passport. International students are normally allowed to work for 20 hours per week during term days and full time during holidays. A student may need a letter from his/her institution that he/she has commenced the course or his/her identity card/passport to begin working. Many institutions have ‘Job shop’ to help students find part-time jobs. Job vacancies are also advertised in newspapers and the Internet. There are also many national and regional employment agencies, run by both government and private, which can advise on the wide range of opportunities available at their client businesses and industries. Most employers will want to see a student’s resume and sometimes, they take an interview before hiring the student.

  • What is the cost of education?

    The cost of education is a cost incurred for your tuition fees at the University. It varies from country to country and from University to University.

  • What is the cost of living?

    The cost of living is the cost incurred throughout your stay at an overseas country where you will pursue your education.

  • Scholarships & Aids
  • What is financial aid?

    Financial aid is a means by which students can reduce or eliminate the expenses that they will incur in the course of their education overseas.

  • What is TA (teaching assistantship)?

    Teaching assistants’ assist a professor by teaching an undergraduate class or checking exam papers. They are paid for this job, which covers most of their expenses while at the University.

  • What about Scholarships?

    Scholarship awards totally depend on your academic record and the funds the University or the Department has during that semester.

  • What is RA (Research Assistantship)?

    Research fellowship/assistantship is an award that allows you to work in the capacity of an assistant to a professor on the research project assigned to him. As a research assistant, the student receives tuition waiver or pays in-state tuition fees and earns additionally to sustain living expenses through their education.

  • What is a guarantor?

    A guarantor is a person who legally co-signs one’s loan/financial aid documents. The guarantor takes the responsibility of assuring the bank that one can and will pay back the loan. If, in case he/she do not pay back then it is the responsibility of the guarantor to repay the loan.

  • What are SFG’s?

    This is an initial for Scholarships/Fellowship/Grants.

  • What are financial aid packages?

    A University offers a financial aid package, which consists of scholarships/grant and an on-campus employment program for the student. Hence this package helps one pay a large amount of his/her total cost.

  • How can one apply for financial aid?

    Ask the Universities, to send the financial aid form, which one should finish and submit before the financial aid deadline date mentioned in the application package of the respective University.

  • What are tuition waivers?

    Tuition waivers are awards that waive one’s tuition fees. These could range from partial to complete tuition waivers.

  • What documents does one send with his/her financial aid package?

    The documents sent are: Financial aid form, Bank letter or Tax documents and Sponsorship form

  • What is a Bank letter?

    A bank letter is a letter issued by the bank confirming the amount one’s parents can pay for his/her education.

  • Entry Clearance & Visa
  • Is it tough to get Visas?

    Student Visas are relatively easy to obtain. Most of the applicants from India who provide a confirmed offer from a University/College abroad and evidence of financial support for tuition fees and living costs are issued Visas.

  • From where can one get the Visa application form?

    The Visa application form is available, free of charge, from the Consulate. Alternatively, you could collect the same at our offices.

  • What documents will one need to present to establish that he/she has permanent ties in India?

    There are various documents that can prove that one has permanent ties in India – namely property papers, job offer letters, awareness of the job market in India etc. But what will really convince a Visa officer is one’s personal conviction. If student himself is not personally convinced that he/she need to come back to India, then it will be very difficult to prove it to somebody else as shrewd as a Visa officer that he/she will be coming back.

  • How much money do I really need to show at the time of Visa?

    There is no upper limit to the amount of funds that one should show for his/her Visa Interview. However, one should show a little more than is necessary to cover his/her expenses abroad. There is no need to go to the obscene limits of putting crores and crores in bank accounts unless they already exist there.

  • If the family money is in Indian Rupees how can he/she show the money in pounds?

    There is absolutely no reason for one to worry on this account. Any bank that deals in foreign currency can issue a certificate stating that they will be able to provide him/her with the necessary amount of foreign currency, for further education, after he/she get the Visa.

  • What questions will they ask me in the Visa interview?

    Relax, there is absolutely no need to be nervous about the ‘Student Visa Interview’. The people at the counter are friendly and will not grill you or have you for lunch! However, you should be thoroughly prepared for the questions.

  • Do the medical check-ups need to be done in specified hospitals and laboratories?

    After the Visa Interview, one will be given a sheet of paper in which the designated hospital will be mentioned for his/her medical checkups. After one has collected the medical test reports, he/she will have to meet a designated doctor for the health checkup.

  • What is the port of entry and how important is this stage?

    The ‘port of entry’ is the Airport that one will disembark upon after his/her flight. Technically the Visa allows one’s entry only till this stage of his/her journey. At the port of entry, one will have to meet the Immigration Officials again and it is they who really give the permission to enter their Country. One will have to convince the officers at the port of entry that he/she is a genuine student and that he/she is in perfect medical shape. But that should not be too difficult provided that one has all the important documents, that he/she took for Visa Interview in Mumbai, ready for inspection in handbag and can take them out easily for scrutiny at the port of entry. It is important to remember that the Officers at the port of entry do reserve the right of Interviewing once again before allowing permission to enter.

  • If one’s Visa is refused from Consulate in one city/region, can he/she reapply for a Visa from another city/region?

    If wishes were horses one could possibly do that. If one apply for Visa from Mumbai and is refused the first time, then his/her second personal interview will have to be in Mumbai.

  • There are some agents who are guaranteeing one the American student Visa. How true might be their claim?

    The American/UK Student Visa Officials have placed themselves above the influence of political interference (both from India and America) so there is no person who can guarantee an American student Visa. A counsellor can assist or guide one in terms of putting his/her papers together but no person is in a position to guarantee a Visa.

  • Other Information
  • How much time should one spend in extra and co-curricular activities?

    If a student is going to work for 20 hours a week, he/she probably cannot read all the recommended books. In addition, if one spends too much time in clubs, pubs, theaters, concerts he/she will end up with the short span of time. The trick is to find a balance between these two – academic and social activities.

  • How to schedule my tasks?

    At the Institution, nobody will ask the student to go to bed at 8 PM or study for 3 hours a day etc. One is free to do anything. Of course, one must attend tutorials, lectures, practical etc., at fixed time and must submit essays & assignments in time. Whether when one should write at 6 PM or 6 AM it is up to him/her.

  • How to make friends?

    A particular student is not the only one who does not know anyone in the Institution. Most of his/her mates are also in the same situations. One may meet like-minded people in tutorials, classes, halls, and kitchen or sports ground. An Institution is a large group of people where one will not be left alone. A student should share his/her interests, some jokes or at least have some fun – he/she should soon end up with a very large group of friends!

  • What is open learning?

    Open learning is somewhat similar to distance learning. The main difference is that no specific prior qualifications are needed. All types of qualifications such as Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Vocational qualifications are run here.

  • What is Profile evaluation for Studies Abroad?

    It’s a process of evaluation of the Profile of Students and Selecting the Universities on the basis of Marks, Exam Scores, and Other Factors.